This is Mukhtiar’s main area of practice and he is recommended in the Chambers UK Bar Guide 2017 and 2018 directories. He has built on many years of employment relations experience and he provides practical advice and focused advocacy.
Mukhtiar is regularly instructed by employers and employees for cases in the Employment Tribunal, High Court and County Court in all types of disputes:
- Unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal
- The Senior Managers Regime
- Settlement Agreements
- Restrictive Covenants, including urgent injunctions
- Unpaid wages
- Discipline, misconduct and performance
- Long-term sickness absence
- Discrimination including disability discrimination
- Working Time Regulations
- National Minimum Wage
- Maternity/adoption rights
- A 3-day county court case for unpaid pay with counterclaims for fraud and breach of post-termination restrictive covenants. Having been instructed for 2 years on a direct public access basis, successfully settled on the first day of trial securing the full value of the claim and costs.
- 4-day unfair dismissal case brought by a director-employee involving allegations of financial irregularity and a breach of fiduciary duties.
- In the High Court, successfully applied for injunctive relief, including a springboard injunction, against former employees and rival companies. Thereafter successfully negotiated a settlement in favour of the client company whereby its complete loss was recovered.
- Acting for a solicitor’s firm employer in a wrongful dismissal claim brought by a director employee dismissed for alleged gross negligence.
- A county court claim for a director’s payment in lieu of notice which had been withheld after the employer alleged to have subsequently discovered breaches of fiduciary duties.
- 4-day disability discrimination case involving harassment because the employee had a hearing impairment.
- 3-day claim including age discrimination, detriment, unfair dismissal and holiday pay. Successfully argued that a rolled up holiday pay clause was a sham.
- Successfully negotiated at remedies stage a six-figure settlement for a Claimant who had established that her employer had subjected her to victimisation and race discrimination.
- A county court claim involving the recoverability of finder’s fees and an allegation of breach of post-termination restrictions.
- An equal pay case, including sex and pregnancy discrimination, involving bonus schemes in the City. A substantial settlement was obtained on behalf of my client.
- A whistleblowing case involving a senior manager brought against a leading investment bank.
- 8-day whistleblowing and unfair dismissal claim, where a key issue was the meaning of “in the public interest” as inserted by s.17 of the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act.
- Unfair dismissal and unpaid holiday case. Successfully argued that a construction worker under a written “self-employed” contract was an employee.
- Successfully negotiated at remedies stage a six-figure settlement.
Mukhtiar is a member of the Industrial Law Society; Employment Law Bar Association; Employment Lawyers Association; and Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers.
If you would like assistance with any employment dispute, please contact Mukhtiar.